Is Optavia a Legitimate MLM? Get the Truth in Our In-Depth Review
If you’re thinking of becoming an Optavia distributor, you’re likely wondering if the company is legitimate or a scam. In this in-depth review, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about the company, including who started it, what products it sells, how it works, and its compensation plan. We’ll also reveal whether the company has been involved in any complaints or lawsuits and share our thoughts on what we like and don’t like about Optavia. If you’re looking for an alternative to Optavia, we’ll give you some recommendations.
History of Optavia
Dr. Wayne Scott Andersen is the founder of Optavia. He’s a medical doctor and healthcare entrepreneur who has devoted his career to helping people lose weight and achieve optimal health. In 2004, with the goal of developing an MLM health and wellness business model that could deliver long-term success for its distributors, he launched Optavia.
The company has seen tremendous success since then and is now one of the top MLM companies in the health and wellness industry. It has a well-established track record of producing results, with distributors earning more than $20 million in commissions in 2020 alone.
Optavia, based in Baltimore, is a subsidiary of Medifast, Inc., which is a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange. Medifast acquired Optavia in June of 2020, and the two companies have since been operating as one.
Andersen started Optavia because he wanted to make it easier for people to achieve their health and wellness goals. He believed that the traditional medical model—which is focused on treating illnesses after they have occurred—wasn’t enough and was too expensive. By creating a MLM business model, he hoped to create an affordable way for people to get healthy without the need for costly medications or treatments.
The name Optavia is derived from the Latin words “optimus” and “avia,” which mean “the best way.” The company believes that by following their plan of eating healthy and exercising regularly, people can achieve optimal health.
What products does Optavia sell?
Optavia sells a variety of health and wellness products, including meal replacement shakes, nutrition bars, snacks, vitamins, and supplements. The company also offers meal plans and coaching services that are designed to help customers reach their weight loss and lifestyle goals.
The Optavia program is divided into four main categories: Habits of Health, Optimal Fueling, Metabolic Max, and Wellness Works. Each category includes different meal replacement products, supplements, and coaching services.
- Habits of Health: This program focuses on developing healthy habits and teaching customers how to make healthier choices. Customers are given access to meal plans, recipes, nutrition tips, and habit tracking tools.
- Optimal Fueling: This program includes pre-packaged meals and snacks that provide customers with the nutrients they need without them having to count calories or measure portions. Customers who join this program also receive coaching services to help them stay on track.
- Metabolic Max: This program is designed for customers who want to lose weight quickly and safely. It includes meal replacements and supplements that boost metabolism, as well as coaching services that provide support and guidance.
- Wellness Works: This program focuses on overall health and wellness, including nutrition, exercise, and lifestyle changes. Customers receive meal plans and guidance from coaches to help them reach their goals.
- Meal replacement products: Optavia sells a variety of meal replacement products, including shakes, bars, and bites. The company also offers a range of snacks that are low in calories and carbohydrates.
- Snack bars: The company sells snack bars that are high in protein and fiber, but low in sugar and fat.
- Supplements: Optavia sells a variety of vitamin, mineral, and herbal supplements to help customers achieve optimal health.
- Shakes: Optavia sells meal replacement shakes that are designed to provide customers with the nutrition they need while helping them lose weight.
- Vitamins: Optavia sells vitamins and minerals to help customers meet their daily needs.
- Meal plans: Customers can choose from a variety of meal plans, which include pre-packaged meals and snacks.
- Coaching services: Optavia offers coaching programs that provide customers with individualized guidance and support. The coaches help customers set achievable goals and develop sustainable habits for long-term success.
Optavia prides itself on providing customers with high-quality products that are made from natural ingredients and without the use of artificial sweeteners or preservatives. The company also conducts regular quality checks to ensure its products meet the highest standards.
Optavia sources its products from a variety of suppliers and manufactures them in-house. The company also works with independent vendors to ensure the quality and integrity of its products.
How does Optavia work?
Optavia operates as a multi-level marketing company, which means that distributors can earn commissions on their own sales as well as the sales of others they recruit into the business. They also have the potential to earn additional bonuses, rewards, and incentives based on their performance.
Optavia offers a tiered commission structure that rewards distributors for selling its products and recruiting new distributors. Distributors can earn up to 60 percent in commissions on sales of Optavia products, as well as up to 10 percent in additional commissions and bonuses for recruiting new distributors.
- Level 1: Distributors earn a 12% commission on their own sales.
- Level 2: Distributors earn a 3% commission on sales made by distributors they recruit.
- Level 3: Distributors earn a 2% commission on sales made by the distributors they recruit, as well as an additional 1% bonus.
- Level 4: Distributors earn a 1% commission on sales made by the distributors they recruit, as well as an additional 0.5% bonus.
- Level 5: Distributors earn a 0.5% commission on sales made by the distributors they recruit, as well as an additional 0.25% bonus.
Optavia has several different ranks, which are based on sales and recruiting performance. As distributors reach higher levels, they receive access to additional resources and incentives. The highest rank is the Optimal Health Coach level, which provides the most benefits and rewards.
The ranks include:
- Connector: This is the entry-level rank.
- Health Coach: This rank requires that distributors recruit two additional active members and generate monthly sales of at least $1,000.
- Executive Health Coach: Distributors must have recruited four active members and generated monthly sales of at least $3,000 to reach this level.
- Optimal Health Coach: This highest rank requires that distributors have recruited six active members and generated monthly sales of at least $5,000.
In addition to selling Optavia products, distributors also have the opportunity to earn money by hosting wellness events. These events are designed to help promote Optavia’s diet and lifestyle programs, as well as its products. Distributors can earn up to 10% in commissions for each event they host.
Optavia provides a variety of resources and tools to help distributors succeed. This includes access to marketing materials, training resources, and customer support services. The company also offers rewards programs and other incentives that help motivate distributors to reach their goals.
Is Optavia a legitimate MLM?
Optavia is a legitimate multi-level marketing company. They offer a variety of high-quality products the company claims are backed by science and have been proven to be effective for weight loss. The company also has an innovative commission structure that rewards distributors for their performance. Finally, they provide access to resources and tools that help distributors succeed in the business.
Optavia is not a pyramid scheme. Under a pyramid scheme, participants make money primarily by recruiting new members, rather than selling products. This is not the case with Optavia, as distributors are rewarded for their sales performance, not just for recruiting other distributors.
Has the company been involved in any complaints or lawsuits?
Optavia has been involved in several complaints and lawsuits:
- In 2015, Optavia was sued for allegedly running a pyramid scheme. The lawsuit was dismissed by a federal judge in 2017.
- In 2018, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) filed an administrative complaint against Optavia’s parent company, Take Shape For Life Inc., accusing it of making false and unsubstantiated weight loss claims. The FTC and the company reached a settlement in 2020.
- In 2019, Optavia was sued by its former Chief Marketing Officer for allegedly engaging in deceptive practices that led to him being fired. The case is still pending.
Overall, Optavia has been involved in several legal disputes but none of these have resulted in any major penalties or sanctions against the company.
What we like about Optavia?
- High-quality products.
- Innovative commission structure that rewards distributors for sales performance.
- Access to resources and tools to help distributors succeed in the business.
- Not a pyramid scheme.
- No major penalties or sanctions against the company
What we don’t like about Optavia?
- Involvement in several legal disputes.
- Unsubstantiated weight loss claims made by the parent company.
- Expensive start-up costs for distributors.
- Complicated commission structure that can be difficult to understand.
- Limited opportunities to earn money outside of product sales.
Are there alternatives to Optavia?
There are several alternatives to Optavia. Some of these include:
- Herbalife: Herbalife is a multi-level marketing company that sells nutrition and weight loss products. They offer competitive commission rates, access to resources and tools, and incentives for distributors.
- Isagenix: Isagenix is another multi-level marketing company that offers supplements, shakes, snacks, and other health products. They also provide extensive training and support to their distributors.
- Arbonne: Arbonne is a multi-level marketing company that sells health and beauty products. They offer competitive commission rates, access to resources and tools, and rewards programs for distributors.
- Yoli: Yoli is a multi-level marketing company that offers nutrition and wellness products. They provide extensive training and support to their distributors, as well as rewards programs and other incentives.
- Jeunesse: Jeunesse is a multi-level marketing company that sells health and beauty products. They offer competitive commission rates, access to resources and tools, and rewards for distributors.
- doTERRA: doTERRA is a multi-level marketing company that sells essential oils and other natural health products. They provide extensive training and support to their distributors, as well as rewards programs and other incentives.
- Nu Skin: Nu Skin is a multi-level marketing company that sells health and beauty products. They offer competitive commission rates, access to resources and tools, and rewards programs for distributors.
Ultimately, there are many alternatives to Optavia, each with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Before deciding which one is best for you, it’s important to do your research and compare the various options.
Our verdict on Optavia
Optavia is a multi-level marketing company that sells health and nutrition products. They offer competitive commission rates, access to resources and tools, and rewards programs for distributors. While they have been involved in several legal disputes, none of these have resulted in any major penalties or sanctions against the company.
Overall, Optavia is a legitimate business opportunity that could be a good fit for some people. However, it’s important to do your research and compare all of the options available to make sure you find the best possible solution for your circumstances.
I Buy I Review is an essential source of information on multi-level marketing companies and other online programs and courses with suspect claims about making you rich. In our reviews, we’re committed to giving an unbiased opinion and to not promoting any one company over another. We encourage everyone to do their own research, check out reviews, and make the best decision for them.
I buy and review courses so you don’t have to. Sometimes, I even find courses that are legitimate and worthwhile; and that’s how I accidentally came across one that led me to building a 6-figure business in a little under 5 years. Now, I still review courses because it’s my favorite hobby. 🙂 Learn more about me here.