LegalShield Review: The Truth About This Multi-Level Marketing Company
LegalShield uses a multi-level marketing platform to sell legal service products. The company has been around since 1972 and offers pre-paid legal services to customers. In this unbiased LegalShield review, we’ll take a look at the company and answer all of your questions about whether or not it’s legitimate. We’ll also discuss the company’s compensation plan, products, and customer reviews. Keep reading for our thoughts on LegalShield.
What is LegalShield?
LegalShield was launched in 1972 by Harland C. Stonecipher. The company, headquartered in Ada, Oklahoma, was originally known as Pre-Paid Legal Services Inc. but changed its name to LegalShield in 2009. LegalShield is a multi-level marketing company that sells legal service products through a network of more than 7000 independent provider attorneys in the United States and Canada.
What products does the company offer?
LegalShield helps small businesses and individuals by offering a variety of prepaid legal services plans. These plans offer access to LegalShield’s network of attorneys for a monthly fee. Customers can use the attorneys for unlimited consultations, letters and phone calls, will preparation, and other services.
Legal services products include:
- Identity theft protection: LegalShield provides customers with access to an ID theft monitoring and restoration service.
- Legal consultation: Customers can call a LegalShield attorney for advice on any legal issue.
- Will preparation: LegalShield customers can have their wills prepared by an attorney.
- Discounted legal services: LegalShield members get discounts on various legal services, such as traffic tickets and divorce proceedings.
How does LegalShield work?
Customers can sign up for LegalShield online or through one of the company’s independent sales representatives. After signing up for a membership plan, customers have access to LegalShield’s network of provider attorneys. Customers can use the LegalShield app or website to contact an attorney for help with their legal issue.
Members pay a monthly fee that entitles them to access the LegalShield network of provider attorneys. Provider attorneys are independent contractors who have agreed to provide discounted legal services to LegalShield members. When a LegalShield member needs legal assistance, they can contact a provider attorney for help.
The company offers two main membership plans: LegalShield Business and LegalShield Personal.
- Personal plan: The LegalShield Personal plan is for individuals and families. It includes all of the legal services products listed above. The monthly price for the Personal plan is $24.95 per month.
- Business plan: The LegalShield Business plan is designed for small businesses. It includes all of the legal services products offered in the Personal plan, plus additional services such as contract reviews and business entity formation. The monthly price for the Business plan is $39.95 per month.
How do provider attorneys join LegalShield?
Provider attorneys can join LegalShield by filling out an application on the company’s website. After submitting the application, LegalShield will review the attorney’s credentials to make sure they meet the requirements for becoming a provider.
What is LegalShield’s compensation plan?
Independent sales representatives earn commissions when they sell LegalShield memberships to customers. Sales representatives also earn overrides on the membership fees of sales reps they recruit. LegalShield does not disclose how much commissions and overrides are paid out.
Provider attorneys earn a fixed monthly fee for every LegalShield member they provide services to. LegalShield does not disclose how much provider attorneys are paid per month.
What do customers think of LegalShield?
Customers generally seem happy with the LegalShield service. The company has a BBB rating of A+ and is accredited by the Better Business Bureau.
Positive reviews mention that LegalShield is a great way to get access to affordable legal services. Customers also appreciate the convenience of being able to contact an attorney through the LegalShield app or website.
Negative reviews mention that the LegalShield service is not always available when it is needed. For example, some customers have complained that they were unable to get in touch with an attorney when they had an emergency legal issue.
Any lawsuits against LegalShield?
LegalShield has been the subject of several lawsuits. The most recent lawsuit was filed in 2019 and alleges that the company is a pyramid scheme. LegalShield has denied these allegations and the case is still pending.
Any other lawsuits?
LegalShield has also been sued for allegedly making false and misleading claims about its services. The company has denied these allegations and the cases are still pending.
Is LegalShield a pyramid scheme?
LegalShield is not a pyramid scheme. The company sells legitimate legal services products and does not require its sales representatives to recruit new members in order to earn commissions.
A pyramid scheme is a type of fraud that requires recruits to pay money to join the scheme. The money paid by new recruits is used to pay commissions to people who recruited them. Pyramid schemes are illegal in the United States.
Is LegalShield a legitimate MLM company?
LegalShield is a legitimate multi-level marketing company. LegalShield sells legal service products through a network of independent sales representatives. Sales representatives earn commissions on the membership fees they generate.
Provider attorneys also earn a fixed monthly fee for every LegalShield member they provide services to. LegalShield is a registered MLM company with the Better Business Bureau and is not a pyramid scheme.
What we like about LegalShield:
- The company has been in business for over 40 years and is a legitimate MLM company.
- LegalShield sells legal service products that can be useful for individuals and businesses.
- Provider attorneys who join LegalShield can earn a fixed monthly fee for every LegalShield member they provide services to.
What we don’t like about LegalShield:
- LegalShield does not disclose how much its sales representatives earn in commissions and overrides.
- The company has been sued for allegedly making false and misleading claims about its services.
- Some customers have complained that they were unable to get in touch with an attorney when they had an emergency legal issue.
Are there alternatives to LegalShield?
There are alternatives to LegalShield.
- LegalZoom: LegalZoom is an online legal service that offers a variety of legal services, including document preparation, wills and trusts, and power of attorney. LegalZoom also has a network of independent attorneys that customers can use for consultations.
- Rocket Lawyer: Rocket Lawyer is an online legal service that offers a variety of legal services, including document preparation, wills and trusts, and power of attorney. Rocket Lawyer also has a network of independent attorneys that customers can use for consultations.
- Nolo: Nolo is an online legal service that offers a variety of legal services, including document preparation, wills and trusts, and power of attorney. Nolo also has a network of independent attorneys that customers can use for consultations.
Be sure to do your research
If you’re interested in joining LegalShield or similar service as a customer or provider, we recommend doing your research and reading reviews from other customers and providers before making a decision.
A good place to start if you’re exploring MLM companies is I Buy I Review. We review MLM companies and other online courses and programs, and provide information on whether we think they’re legitimate or a scam.
I buy and review courses so you don’t have to. Sometimes, I even find courses that are legitimate and worthwhile; and that’s how I accidentally came across one that led me to building a 6-figure business in a little under 5 years. Now, I still review courses because it’s my favorite hobby. 🙂 Learn more about me here.