In the ever-evolving landscape of work-from-home opportunities, Purium emerges as a notable contender in the health and wellness sector, particularly within the multi-level marketing (MLM) framework. This detailed examination seeks to unravel the question: Is Purium a pyramid scheme or a trustworthy MLM venture?
History of Purium
Purium was founded in 2005 by David Sandoval and Amy Venner. The company is headquartered in Los Angeles, California and has a manufacturing facility in Phoenix, Arizona.
Sandoval is a nutritionist, best-selling author and Purium’s CEO. He has a bachelor’s degree in business administration from Pepperdine University and is a certified nutritional consultant. Venner, Purium’s Chief Brand Officer, has a long history in the health and wellness industry. She’s a certified nutritionist, herbalist and naturopath who has worked as a health coach for over 20 years.
Sandoval and Venner met while working at a health food store in the early 2000s. They became friends and, after Purium’s launch in 2005, began working together to grow the company.
Purium’s mission is to “empower people to take control of their health destiny.” According to the company, Purium is a combination of the Latin words for “pure” and “premium.”
Purium is a privately-held company and does not disclose its revenue or sales figures. However, it claims to have more than 100,000 customers and over 25,000 Independent Brand Partners (Purium’s term for its distributors/salespeople).
What does Purium sell?
Purium sells more than 400 health and wellness supplements, including vitamins, minerals, proteins, superfoods, shakes, bars, soups and skincare. The company’s flagship product is its Super Meal shake, which comes in chocolate and vanilla flavor.
The company has over 50 products in its catalog, divided into six main categories:
- Purium Health Products: These are the company’s flagship products, including the Super Meal shake, AminoWise protein powder and Greens.
- Purium Weight Loss Products: Purium’s weight loss products include its Slim Shake, Appetite Suppressant and Fat Burner.
- Purium Energy & Stamina Products: Purium’s energy and stamina products include its Power Shake, Adrenal Health and BrainOn.
- Purium Digestion & Detox Products: Purium’s digestion and detox products include its Daily Fiber Blend, Digestive Enzymes and Liver Detoxifier & Regenerator.
- Purium Beauty Products: Purium’s beauty products include its Purium Beauty Oil, Purium Face Wash and Purium Eye Cream.
- Purium Kids Products: Purium’s kids products include its Kids Super Meal, Kids Protein and Kids Probiotic.
Purium also offers:
- Supplements for general health: Purium’s general health supplements include vitamins, minerals and probiotics.
- Superfoods: Purium’s superfood products include greens powders, berries and seeds.
- Homeopathic remedies: Purium offers homeopathic remedies for a variety of conditions, including anxiety, stress and insomnia.
- Supplements for gut health: Purium’s gut health supplements include probiotics and digestive enzymes.
- Supplements for detox and cleansing: Purium’s detox and cleansing supplements include liver support and colon cleanse products.
Purium’s products are available in two forms: powders and capsules. Purium also offers a subscription service that gives customers a discount on Purium products. Purium’s products are vegan, non-GMO, dairy-free, gluten-free and soy-free. They’re also free of artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners and preservatives.
Purium’s Product Claims
- Energy and Vitality: Purium products like the Power Shake and Super Meal are designed to boost energy levels through nutrient-dense superfoods and natural ingredients.
- Immune Support: Supplements containing vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants claim to bolster the body’s immune response.
- Weight Management: Products such as the Slim Shake and Appetite Suppressant are marketed to help with weight loss by promoting satiety and boosting metabolism.
- Gut Health and Detoxification: The Daily Fiber Blend and Digestive Enzymes, among others, are intended to support digestive health and facilitate the body’s natural detox processes.
Scientific Backing and Research
When assessing the veracity of Purium’s claims, it’s crucial to differentiate between general nutritional support, which many of their products provide, and specific health outcomes, which may require more rigorous scientific evidence to substantiate.
- Nutritional Support: Many Purium products are formulated with ingredients known for their health benefits. For example, superfoods like spirulina and chlorella found in their shakes are rich in nutrients and have been studied for their energy-boosting and immune-supporting properties. The general consensus in nutritional science supports the idea that a diet rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants can contribute to overall health and well-being.
- Weight Management: The claims regarding weight management products often rely on the principle that ingredients like fiber and protein can help reduce appetite and increase feelings of fullness, potentially leading to weight loss. There is substantial evidence in nutritional science that supports these mechanisms. However, weight loss and management are complex processes influenced by numerous factors, including diet, exercise, and metabolism, making it difficult to attribute success to a single product.
- Gut Health and Detoxification: The emphasis on gut health is based on the known benefits of fiber and probiotics for digestive health. Scientific literature supports the use of probiotics in promoting gut health and digestive enzymes in aiding digestion. Yet, the concept of detoxification through supplements is more contentious among health professionals, as the body naturally detoxifies through the liver, kidneys, and other organs.
Are There Specific Studies on Purium Products?
Purium, like many dietary supplement companies, bases its product claims on the known benefits of individual ingredients rather than specific studies on the products themselves. The health supplement industry often utilizes general research to support the efficacy of ingredients, which does not necessarily translate to clinical evidence for the final product’s effectiveness in treating, curing, or preventing diseases.
While certain ingredients in Purium’s products have been studied for their health benefits, comprehensive, product-specific research conducted by independent third parties would provide the most robust evidence for their claims. Consumers should look for products that have undergone such studies or those that are supported by a broader consensus in the scientific community.
Sourcing of Purium Products
Purium prides itself on sourcing ingredients globally, ensuring that each component meets its stringent quality standards. With a manufacturing process based in an FDA-registered facility in California, Purium maintains control over its production, from sourcing to the final product, to guarantee the purity and efficacy of its wellness offerings.
How much do Purium’s products cost?
Purium’s products range in price from $19.95 for a bottle of vitamins to $159.95 for a box of superfoods. The company offers discounts for customers who purchase multiple products and for customers who sign up for Purium’s subscription service.
Purium also offers a loyalty program called Purium VIP, which gives customers a discount on Purium products and free shipping on orders over $75. Purium offers a 60-day money-back guarantee for customers who are not satisfied with their purchase.
Is Purium a Pyramid Scheme or Legitimate?
Purium is a legitimate multi-level marketing company. Purium is not a pyramid scheme because its distributors earn commissions on the products they sell, not on the recruitment of new distributors. Under a pyramid scheme, distributors would only earn money if they recruited new distributors, regardless of whether or not those recruits sold any product.
Pyramid schemes are illegal in the United States, and Purium is a registered member of the Direct Selling Association (DSA), which requires its members to abide by the DSA’s Code of Ethics.
Complaints and Lawsuits
Purium has managed to maintain a relatively clean record, with minimal complaints or major lawsuits. This achievement is partly due to its commitment to customer satisfaction, underscored by policies like the 60-day money-back guarantee and adherence to the Direct Selling Association’s ethical standards.
What we like about Purium:
- Purium’s products are sourced from all over the world and are manufactured in an FDA-registered facility.
- Purium offers a 60-day money-back guarantee.
- Purium’s compensation plan incentivizes distributors to grow their teams and sell more product.
What we don’t like about Purium:
- Purium is a multi-level marketing company, which means that its distributors earn commissions on the products they sell. Purium also offers bonuses and rewards for meeting sales goals and recruiting new distributors.
- Purium’s starter kits are expensive, ranging in price from $199 to $499.
Are there alternatives to Purium?
Yes, there are many alternatives to Purium. Some other health and wellness MLMs include:
- Beachbody is a direct selling company that offers fitness programs, workout DVDs and nutritional supplements.
- Herbalife is a multi-level marketing company that sells nutrition, weight loss and skin care products.
- Juice Plus is a direct selling company that sells fruit and vegetable capsules, powders and chewables.
- Isagenix is a direct selling company that sells nutritional supplements and skincare products.
- Nu Skin is a multi-level marketing company that sells anti-aging products and nutritional supplements.
- Mary Kay is a direct selling company that sells cosmetics, skincare and fragrance products.
- Rodan + Fields is a multi-level marketing company that sells skincare and acne treatments.
- Shaklee is a direct selling company that offers nutraceuticals, beauty products and household cleaners.
- Melaleuca is a direct selling company that sells nutritional supplements, beauty products and cleaning supplies.
- Young Living is a multi-level marketing company that sells essential oils and other wellness products.
- Zynga: Zynga is a direct selling company that offers energy drinks, dietary supplements and skincare products.
- Plexus Worldwide is a multi-level marketing company that sells nutritional supplements and skincare products.
As you can see, there are many alternatives to Purium. If you’re interested in joining a health and wellness MLM, we recommend doing your research to find the company that best fits your needs and interests.
The Role of Due Diligence and Review Platforms
Due diligence is a critical process for anyone considering joining a Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) company. This careful examination goes beyond initial impressions and marketing pitches to uncover the true nature of the business opportunity, its legal standing, financial viability, and ethical practices. Given the mixed reputation of MLMs, stemming from the existence of pyramid schemes disguised as legitimate businesses, due diligence becomes not just beneficial but essential for potential participants. Here’s an expanded view on the role of due diligence in this context:
Understanding the Business Model
The first step in due diligence is to thoroughly understand the MLM’s business model. This involves:
- Evaluating the Product or Service: Assessing the value, quality, and market demand for the MLM’s offerings. Products should have genuine consumer appeal outside the MLM’s network.
- Compensation Plan Analysis: Understanding how earnings are generated, including the balance between sales to external customers and rewards for recruitment. A legitimate MLM will offer a clear, fair compensation plan that rewards actual sales more than recruitment.
Legal and Regulatory Compliance
Potential MLM participants should investigate the company’s compliance with laws and regulations governing MLM practices, especially those outlined by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) in the U.S.:
- Checking for Legal Actions: Researching whether the MLM has been subject to lawsuits or legal action related to its business practices can reveal potential red flags.
- Regulatory Adherence: Confirming that the MLM follows guidelines set forth by the FTC and other relevant bodies to avoid pyramid scheme characteristics.
Financial Viability and Transparency
Understanding the financial health and transparency of an MLM is crucial:
- Income Disclosures: Legitimate MLMs often provide income disclosure statements that give a realistic picture of earnings across different levels of participation. Analyzing these disclosures can help set realistic expectations.
- Startup Costs and Ongoing Expenses: Evaluating the initial investment required and any ongoing expenses is key to understanding the financial commitment involved. Due diligence includes assessing the likelihood of recovering these costs through the business opportunity.
Company Reputation and Culture
The reputation and culture of the MLM company can significantly impact a distributor’s experience and success:
- Company History and Track Record: Investigating the company’s history, including its growth, stability, and reputation in the industry, can provide insights into its longevity and ethical practices.
- Culture and Support: The company’s culture, including support for distributors, training resources, and community, can be indicative of how it values and treats its participants.
Product Claims and Efficacy
For MLMs selling health, wellness, or beauty products, due diligence includes verifying product claims:
- Scientific Evidence: Looking for scientific backing for any health or performance claims made by the MLM’s products.
- Regulatory Approval: Checking whether products have necessary approvals or endorsements from relevant health authorities, where applicable.
Personal Fit and Goals
Finally, due diligence involves a personal assessment of fit and goals:
- Alignment with Personal Values: Ensuring the company’s products, mission, and practices align with one’s own values and interests.
- Financial and Time Commitment: Assessing whether the financial and time investment required matches one’s personal goals and lifestyle.
Do we recommend Purium?
Yes, we recommend Purium. Purium is a legitimate MLM company that offers a 60-day money-back guarantee on its products. Purium’s compensation plan incentivizes distributors to grow their teams and sell more product. We also like that Purium’s products are sourced from all over the world and are manufactured in an FDA-registered facility.
If you’re interested in joining Purium, we recommend starting with a Purium Health and Freedom Pack. This starter kit includes Purium’s top-selling products and is priced at $499.
To learn more about Purium, visit the company’s website or contact a Purium distributor.
What to look for in a multi-level marketing company
When you’re considering joining a multi-level marketing company, it’s important to do your research to find a legitimate company.
- Be sure to read reviews of the company.
- Check the Better Business Bureau website and look for any complaints or lawsuits.
- Contact a Purium distributor to learn more about the company.
- When you’re looking for a multi-level marketing company, it’s also important to find one that offers products that you’re interested in.
When you research money-making opportunities such as MLM companies, and online courses and programs, one of your best sources of information is I Buy I Review. We review these programs and companies and give you our take on whether they’re legitimate and or a waste of your time and money.
Frequently Asked Questions about Purium
1. What is Purium? Purium is a health and wellness company founded in 2005 by David Sandoval and Amy Venner. It specializes in producing and selling a wide range of nutritional supplements, including vitamins, minerals, proteins, superfoods, and skincare products, through a multi-level marketing (MLM) model.
2. What are Purium’s flagship products? Purium’s flagship products include the Super Meal shake, available in chocolate and vanilla flavors, and the AminoWise protein powder. These products are part of Purium’s extensive catalog designed to support energy levels, immune health, weight management, gut health, and detoxification.
3. Are Purium products backed by scientific research? Purium’s product claims are based on the general health benefits of their ingredients, many of which are supported by scientific research. However, specific, comprehensive studies directly linking Purium products to claimed health outcomes are less common, and the effectiveness of supplements can vary by individual.
4. How does Purium’s MLM business model work? Purium operates on an MLM structure, where Independent Brand Partners (IBPs) earn income through direct sales of products and by recruiting new members into their downline. The compensation plan includes retail commissions, downline commissions, and various bonuses for sales performance and team building.
5. Is Purium considered a pyramid scheme? No, Purium is not considered a pyramid scheme. It is a legitimate MLM company that focuses on selling health and wellness products. Distributors earn income based on product sales rather than solely through recruitment, aligning with legal and ethical MLM practices.
6. Has Purium faced any major complaints or lawsuits? Purium has maintained a relatively clean record with minimal complaints and no major lawsuits. The company is committed to customer satisfaction and adheres to ethical business practices, including a 60-day money-back guarantee for its products.
7. What should I consider before joining Purium as a distributor? Before joining Purium, consider the investment in starter kits, your interest in and knowledge of health and wellness products, your ability to sell products and recruit a team, and the company’s compensation plan. Research and understand the MLM model and assess whether it aligns with your personal goals and capabilities.
8. Are there alternatives to Purium in the MLM health and wellness sector? Yes, there are several alternatives to Purium, including Herbalife, Beachbody, Isagenix, and others. Each company offers unique products and business opportunities, so it’s important to research and find the one that best fits your interests and goals in the health and wellness industry.
9. How can I ensure that an MLM company is legitimate and right for me? To ensure an MLM company is legitimate, check its membership with reputable organizations like the Direct Selling Association, read reviews, consult with current distributors, and research any complaints or lawsuits. Consider the company’s product offerings, compensation plan, and your own interests and commitment level before joining.
I buy and review courses so you don’t have to. Sometimes, I even find courses that are legitimate and worthwhile; and that’s how I accidentally came across one that led me to building a 6-figure business in a little under 5 years. Now, I still review courses because it’s my favorite hobby. 🙂 Learn more about me here.