Usana is a Utah-based, multi-level marketing company that manufactures and sells pharmaceutical-grade nutrition products, as well as meals, energy, and personal care items. Usana was founded in 1992 by Dr. Myron Wentz, a biochemist who has been awarded more than 60 patents for his work in the fields of medical diagnostics and anti-aging medicine. Usana operates in more than 17 countries and has over 2 million customers worldwide. The company has been criticized for its high prices and allegations of pyramid scheme activity, but it also enjoys a large number of loyal supporters. In this comprehensive guide to Usana, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about the company, its products, how it works, and whether it’s a good opportunity for you.
Background of Dr. Myron Wentz and Usana
In addition to founding Usana, Dr. Wentz is the author of several books, including “The Usana Story: A Legacy of Innovation and Integrity” and “Potentiate Your DNA: A Practical Guide to Leading-Edge Wellness Programs.” Prior to Usana, Dr. Wentz founded Gull Laboratories, Inc., a medical diagnostic company, in 1974. Gull Labs was acquired by Baxter International in 1992 for $440 million. Usana was launched shortly thereafter.
Wentz received the Albert Einstein Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Life Sciences in 2006 and was inducted into the Direct Selling Hall of Fame in 2012. He has a Ph.D in both microbiology and immunology from Northwestern University.
Usana manufactures all of its own products in FDA-registered, pharmaceutical-grade facilities. The company has more than 500 quality control experts who test products at every stage of the manufacturing process. Usana’s products are also third-party tested for quality and safety.
What are Usana’s products?
Usana’s product line includes nutritional supplements, skincare products, weight management items, and energy drinks. Usana sells a wide range of health and wellness products, including nutritional supplements, skincare items, weight management products, and more. Usana’s flagship product is Essentials, a daily multivitamin and mineral supplement that is designed to provide the nutrients your body needs for optimal health. Usana also has a line of products for athletes, called Usana Athletic Performance System, as well as a range of child-specific supplements.
The company claims that its products are “the result of years of research by some of the world’s leading scientists” and are manufactured in FDA-registered facilities using “Good Manufacturing Practices.”
Usana’s products line include the following items:
- Nutritional supplements: Usana offers a wide range of nutritional supplements, including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, probiotics, omega-fatty acids, and more. The company also has a line of prenatal vitamins and products for children.
- Skincare products: Usana’s skincare line includes more than 30 different products, including cleansers, toners, moisturizers, serums, eye creams, and sunscreens.
- Weight management items: Usana offers a variety of weight management products, including meal replacement shakes, protein bars, and appetite suppressants.
- Energy drinks: Usana’s energy drink, Revive, is designed to support mental and physical energy levels. The drink is available in four flavors: Original, Orange Creamsicle, Peach Mango, and Strawberry Kiwi.
How does Usana work?
Usana is a multi-level marketing company, which means that it sells its products through a network of independent distributors. Usana distributors earn commissions on the sale of Usana products, as well as on the sales of other distributors they recruit to join their team. Usana also offers incentives and bonuses for meeting certain sales goals.
To become a Usana distributor, you must purchase a starter kit, which costs between $29 and $399. The starter kit includes Usana products, marketing materials, and business tools. There is also a $15 annual membership fee.
As a Usana distributor, you’ll be able to purchase Usana products at a discounted price and earn commissions on your sales. You’ll also have the opportunity to build a team of other distributors and earn commissions on their sales as well.
What is Usana’s compensation plan?
Usana offers its associates six ways to earn income, including retail profit, team commissions, Leadership Bonuses, Performance Bonuses, the Usana Infinity Fast Start Program, and the Usana Car Plan.
- Retail Profit: You’ll earn a commission on the products you sell at retail price. The commission rate varies depending on your rank within Usana.
- Team Commissions: You’ll earn a commission on the sales of other distributors you’ve recruited to join your team. The commission rate also varies depending on your rank within Usana.
- Leadership Bonuses: Usana offers bonuses for meeting certain leadership milestones, such as building a large team or achieving high sales volume.
- Performance Bonuses: Usana offers bonuses for meeting certain sales goals, such as selling a certain amount of product or recruiting a certain number of distributors.
- Usana Infinity Fast Start Program: Usana’s Infinity Fast Start Program offers new associates the opportunity to earn increased commissions during their first few months with the company.
- Usana Car Plan: Usana’s car plan offers associates the opportunity to earn a monthly car allowance and eventually receive a free car.
Any complaints or lawsuits?
Usana has been the subject of several complaints and lawsuits over the years. The majority of these complaints center around Usana's business practices, such as its use of high-pressure sales tactics and its focus on recruiting new associates rather than retail sales.
In 2009, Usana agreed to settle a class action lawsuit for $11 million. The lawsuit alleged that Usana made false and misleading statements about its business opportunity, products, and compensation plan.
In 2012, Usana was hit with another class action lawsuit alleging similar claims. The suit is currently ongoing.
Usana has also been the subject of several complaints with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The BBB has given Usana an "F" rating, the lowest possible rating.
What we like about Usana
- Usana’s products are manufactured in FDA-registered, pharmaceutical-grade facilities.
- The company has more than 500 quality control experts who test products at every stage of the manufacturing process.
- Usana products are backed by a 60-day money-back guarantee.
- The company has a wide range of products, including nutritional supplements, skincare items, weight management products, and more.
- Usana offers a discount to distributors who purchase Usana products in bulk.
What we don’t like about Usana
- Usana is a multi-level marketing company, which means that it relies on its network of distributors to sell its products. This business model can be controversial and has been the subject of several lawsuits.
- The company has an “F” rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) due to complaints about its business practices.
- Usana’s products are more expensive than similar products available from other brands.
Are there comparable companies?
Usana is not the only company that sells nutritional supplements, skincare items, and other health-related products.
- Herbalife is a multi-level marketing company that sells nutritional supplements, weight management products, and skincare items.
- Amway is a direct selling company that offers a wide range of products, including home care items, health and beauty products, and more.
- Mary Kay is a direct selling company that specializes in skincare and cosmetics.
- GNC is a retailer that sells nutritional supplements, vitamins, and other health-related products.
- Vitacost is an online retailer that offers a wide range of health-related products, including nutritional supplements, skincare items, and more.
- Puritan’s Pride is an online retailer that sells nutritional supplements, vitamins, and other health-related products.
Usana is a legitimate multi-level marketing company. The company has been in business for over 25 years and sells a wide range of health-related products. Usana’s products are manufactured in FDA-registered, pharmaceutical-grade facilities and are backed by a 60-day money-back guarantee. While Usana’s products are more expensive than similar products available from other brands, the company offers a discount to distributors who purchase Usana products in bulk.
Usana is not without its controversies, however. The company has an “F” rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) due to complaints about its business practices, and it has been the subject of several lawsuits alleging that it made false and misleading statements about its business opportunity, products, and compensation plan. Despite these controversies, Usana remains a legitimate multi-level marketing company.
If you’re thinking about joining Usana, be sure to do your research and talk to other Usana distributors to get a better idea of what the company is like. You should also be aware of the company’s policies regarding returns, refunds, and shipping fees. Usana is a legitimate MLM company with a wide range of products, but it’s not right for everyone. Be sure to weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.
An important source of information on multi-level marketing companies is I Buy I Review. Our unbiased reviews give you an inside look at the companies, their products, and their compensation plans. We also offer an opinion on whether they’re worth your time and money.
I buy and review courses so you don’t have to. Sometimes, I even find courses that are legitimate and worthwhile; and that’s how I accidentally came across one that led me to building a 6-figure business in a little under 5 years. Now, I still review courses because it’s my favorite hobby. 🙂 Learn more about me here.