Paparazzi Accessories is a popular multi-level marketing company that sells jewelry and accessories through a network of distributors. If you’re researching whether to join Paparazzi, you’re likely wondering if it’s legitimate or a scam. In this in-depth Paparazzi Accessories review, we’ll take a look at who launched Paparazzi and when, how Paparazzi works, what products the company sells and whether they’re any good, how you can join Paparazzi Accessories and its compensation plan, whether the company has faced any complaints or lawsuits, what we like about Paparazzi Accessories and what we don’t like, and alternatives to Paparazzi Accessories.
History of Paparazzi Accessories
Paparazzi Accessories was founded in 2010 by Misty and Ryan Bell. Paparazzi is headquartered in American Fork, Utah. The company was originally known as Paparazzi Jewelry and Accessories but later dropped the “Jewelry” from its name. Paparazzi is a debt-free company and was named the 55th fastest growing company in Utah by Utah Business Magazine in 2016.
Misty and Ryan Bell are married. Paparazzi is a family business – Misty’s sister, Chani Reece, is Paparazzi’s Vice President of Field Development.
Prior to Paparazzi, Misty was a Mary Kay cosmetics sales director and Ryan was in real estate.
Paparazzi’s mission is to “inspire dreams, empower stars, and change lives.” The company does this by selling affordable jewelry and accessories and providing an opportunity for people to start their own business. Paparazzi is open to anyone regardless of age, background, or experience level.
Paparazzi is named after the Italian word for “press photographers” who follow celebrities around and take their picture. Paparazzi Accessories says it wants to make everyone feel like a celebrity by offering affordable, stylish jewelry.
What products does Paparazzi Accessories sell?
Paparazzi Accessories sells fashion jewelry and accessories for women, men, and children. The company’s tagline is “Fashion to Five Dollars.” Paparazzi jewelry is lead- and nickel-free.
Paparazzi’s jewelry is divided into five collections:
- New Releases: Paparazzi releases new jewelry every day at noon MST.
- Boutique: Paparazzi’s line of trendy, fashion-forward jewelry.
- Classic: Paparazzi’s line of timeless, classic pieces.
- Branded: Paparazzi’s line of licensed Disney and Hello Kitty jewelry.
- Elemental Nature: Paparazzi’s line of nature-inspired jewelry
Paparazzi also sells a small selection of non-jewelry items:
- Bags: Paparazzi sells clutches, wallets, and crossbody bags.
- Hair Accessories: Paparazzi sells headbands, hair clips, and Barrettes.
- Sunglasses: Paparazzi sells a variety of sunglasses for women.
Paparazzi’s products are designed in-house by Paparazzi’s team of designers. Paparazzi sources its products from all over the world, including China, India, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, and the United States.
Are Paparazzi products any good?
Paparazzi’s products are hit or miss. The company has a large selection of jewelry and accessories, so it’s easy to find pieces that you like. However, because Paparazzi sources its products from all over the world, the quality can vary.
Some Paparazzi fans love the company’s products and say that Paparazzi’s jewelry is well-made and stylish. Others have had bad experiences with Paparazzi products, saying that the jewelry is cheaply made and breaks easily.
How does Paparazzi work?
Paparazzi Accessories uses a multi-level marketing model to sell its products. Paparazzi recruits independent distributors, who sell Paparazzi’s products through in-person parties and online.
Distributors earn a 45% commission on their personal sales. They also earn commissions when they recruit other people to join Paparazzi as distributors. Paparazzi has six levels of distributor:
- Consultant: Paparazzi’s entry-level distributors. To qualify as a consultant, you must purchase Paparazzi’s $99 starter kit and maintain a minimum monthly order of $100.
- Director: Paparazzi directors have recruited at least three people who are active consultants. Directors must maintain a minimum monthly order of $300.
- Star Director: Paparazzi star directors have recruited at least three people who are active directors. Star directors must maintain a minimum monthly order of $600.
- Executive Director: Paparazzi executive directors have recruited at least three people who are active star directors. Executive directors must maintain a minimum monthly order of $1,200.
- Premier Director: Paparazzi premier directors have recruited at least three people who are active executive directors. Premier directors must maintain a minimum monthly order of $2,400.
- Elite Director: Paparazzi’s top distributors. Elite directors have recruited at least three people who are active premier directors. Elite directors must maintain a minimum monthly order of $4,800.
Paparazzi also has a mentoring program, which allows Paparazzi directors to earn overrides on the sales of their downline distributors.
How do you join Paparazzi Accessories?
To join Paparazzi Accessories, you must purchase Paparazzi’s starter kit. Paparazzi’s starter kit costs $99 and includes Paparazzi’s jewelry display case, a Paparazzi T-shirt, Paparazzi business cards, and a Paparazzi tote bag.
Paparazzi also has an annual membership fee of $30. The annual membership fee gives you access to Paparazzi’s online back office and training materials.
Is Paparazzi Accessories a pyramid scheme?
No, Paparazzi Accessories is not a pyramid scheme. Paparazzi distributors earn commissions on their personal sales and on the sales of the people they recruit to join Paparazzi. Paparazzi does not require its distributors to purchase inventory or make monthly purchases.
Under a pyramid scheme, participants only make money by recruiting new people to join the scheme. Pyramid schemes are illegal in the United States.
How about complaints or lawsuits?
Paparazzi Accessories has faced several complaints and lawsuits.
- In 2016, Paparazzi was sued for allegedly operating as a pyramid scheme. The lawsuit was eventually dismissed.
- In 2018, Paparazzi agreed to pay $300,000 to settle a class-action lawsuit that accused the company of making false and misleading claims about its business opportunity.
- In 2019, Paparazzi was sued for allegedly operating as a pyramid scheme and making false and misleading claims about its products. The lawsuit is ongoing.
Paparazzi Accessories has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). However, the BBB has received over 100 complaints about Paparazzi in the last three years.
What we like about Paparazzi Accessories
There are a few things we like about Paparazzi Accessories:
- The company’s starter kit is relatively inexpensive at $99.
- Paparazzi does not require its distributors to purchase inventory or make monthly purchases.
- The company has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
What we don’t like about Paparazzi Accessories?
There are a few things we don’t like about Paparazzi Accessories:
- Paparazzi has faced several complaints and lawsuits.
- The company has a pyramid-shaped compensation plan.
- Some Paparazzi distributors have complained about the quality of the company’s products.
Are there alternatives to Paparazzi Accessories?
If you’re interested in selling jewelry and accessories, there are several alternatives to Paparazzi Accessories. A few companies that sell jewelry and accessories through multi-level marketing include:
- Stella & Dot: Stella & Dot is a jewelry company that was founded in 2003. Stella & Dot sells its jewelry through a network of independent stylists.
- Origami Owl: Origami Owl is a jewelry company that was founded in 2010. Origami Owl sells its jewelry through a network of independent designers.
- 31 Gifts: 31 Gifts is a company that sells a variety of products, including jewelry, through a network of independent consultants.
Our verdict on Paparazzi Accessories
Paparazzi Accessories is a legitimate MLM company that sells jewelry and accessories. Paparazzi does have a few complaints and lawsuits against it, but the company has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. If you’re interested in selling jewelry and accessories, Paparazzi Accessories is worth considering. However, there are several other companies that sell jewelry and accessories through MLM, so you may want to compare Paparazzi Accessories to its competitors before making a decision.
You know the importance of research
If you landed on this site, you know the importance of research the many multi-level marketing companies out there. Before you join any MLM, it’s important to do your due diligence and make sure the company is legitimate and the products are good.
There are several things you should look for in an MLM:
- A low-cost starter kit.
- No requirements to purchase inventory or make monthly purchases.
- A good reputation with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Few complaints and lawsuits against it.
When you’re researching whether to join a multi-level marketing company, be sure you check out the unbiased reviews on I Buy I Review. We provide in-depth, honest reviews of MLMs so you can make an informed decision about whether to join.
I buy and review courses so you don’t have to. Sometimes, I even find courses that are legitimate and worthwhile; and that’s how I accidentally came across one that led me to building a 6-figure business in a little under 5 years. Now, I still review courses because it’s my favorite hobby. 🙂 Learn more about me here.