The weight loss supplement industry is a billion dollar global business. These products come in many forms, from pills and capsules to powders and liquids. Some of these supplements are sold by companies that use the network marketing business model, such as TruVision Health.
But do weight loss supplements work? This article will answer that question and others: What are weight loss supplements? What are the types of weight loss supplements? Are these products regulated? Are there risks from using these dietary supplements?
What are weight loss supplements?
Weight loss supplements are dietary products that claim to help you lose weight. Supplements may be sold as capsules, liquid form or pills. Certain types of supplements can suppress appetite and improve metabolism while others come with caffeine in them for extra energy boost.
Weight loss supplements can be classified into three categories: fat blockers, metabolism boosters, or appetite suppressants.
Fat blockers work by blocking some of the food you eat from being absorbed by your body. Some of these supplements are sold in the form of pills or capsules, while others come in liquid form as liquids or capsules.
Metabolism is a word that means the amount of energy your body needs to maintain its functions and also how quickly your body burns calories. Metabolism boosters are also called thermogenics or thermo genii and they increase the speed of your metabolic rate, which in turn increases the amount of energy you use each day. These boosters work to increase metabolic rates and help you burn calories more quickly than before.
Lastly, appetite suppressants can be a pill, capsule, powder mix that is taken in liquid form, or as a chewable tablet.
Appetite suppressants work by reducing the appetite and feelings of hunger so you won’t want to take bites of food that aren’t necessary for survival. Some weight loss supplements come with caffeine in them, which is known as a stimulant and can cause side effects like jitters, increased heart rate and mood swings.
Are weight loss supplements safe?
You should be cautious when deciding to use supplements that claim you will lose weight. You may want to talk with your doctor first before using any of these products, especially if you have a health condition like diabetes or high blood pressure.
There are risks associated with using dietary supplements, including weight gain from consuming excess calories and unhealthy side effects such as nervousness, headache and insomnia. For these reasons, it is important for consumers to consult a doctor before taking any type of supplement containing stimulants like caffeine or synephrine, or any product containing ephedra.
Side effects are usually related to the particular ingredients in a supplement and how your body reacts to them.
Common side effects from taking weight loss supplements include stomach upset, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and heart problems. This is especially true if you have diabetes or high blood pressure. If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms after trying a weight loss supplement, call your doctor right away.
Are supplements for weight loss regulated?
The U.S Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does regulate supplements as a food product but not specifically for weight loss purposes. This means that these products aren’t required to have gone through clinical testing in order to be sold on the market like medications or drugs are. The FDA requires dietary supplements to be properly labeled, and they must contain ingredients that the manufacturer can show are safe.
However, because supplements aren’t required to undergo clinical testing before being marketed for weight loss purposes like drugs would have been, there may not be enough research available about any potential benefits or risks of a given supplement. Additionally, while many dietary supplements are marketed as natural remedies, they can still have side effects.
Weight loss supplements are also regulated by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and can be recalled if they pose a health risk to consumers. If you have questions about whether or not any products that are sold in your local store meet these standards, talk to an employee of the business before purchasing anything from it.
Is there scientific evidence that dietary supplements work?
There is a lack of scientific evidence available on the long-term effects these supplements have on one’s health, including their safety and effectiveness.
Some supplements are backed by scientific research, but not all. Scientific evidence is usually cited on the product packaging. If you’re considering purchasing a weight loss supplement and want to know more about it, first read through the list of ingredients that make up its formula for yourself or take advantage of free samples if available at your local retailer.
If you do decide to purchase a weight loss supplement, be sure that it’s from a reputable company with an established track record of safety and efficacy. The best way to lose weight is still through a well-structured diet and exercise.
What are the ingredients in dietary supplements?
The active ingredients in dietary supplements are usually listed on the product packaging. Ingredients may include herbs, protein powder, vitamins and minerals, amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) or other substances such as caffeine or synephrine. Manufacturers typically provide an ingredient list on their websites as well to help you understand what is included in a particular product.
In a survey of ingredients in weight-loss supplements, researchers found that the most common active ingredient was caffeine (78 percent), followed by synephrine (55 percent). Other popular ingredients included herbal extracts including green tea extract and guarana extract, as well as chromium picolinate or biotin. All of these substances have been linked to either weight loss or increased metabolism.
The survey found that more than 90 percent of supplements listed synephrine as an active ingredient, while less than 16 percent contained chromium picolinate and just over 12 percent included biotin. The study did not examine whether the levels in these products were too low to have any effect, or whether the ingredients were too diluted to be effective.
What are the benefits of losing weight?
Here are some of the benefits that can be obtained by losing weight:
- Improved cardiovascular health: This is because reduced body fat will lead to lower levels of leptin in your bloodstream which has been linked to high blood pressure. It also leads to decreased risk for diabetes and a number of other serious conditions.
- Increased energy levels: When you are carrying a few extra pounds, it makes every day activities taxing on your body. This includes walking up stairs or getting out of chairs and beds. Losing weight can drastically reduce these challenges and make them less strenuous for the individual.
- Improved self esteem: The majority of people who have lost weight will report an increase in their self-esteem. It is difficult to feel good about yourself when the mirror reflects an obese person staring back at you, but a slimmer body can make all the difference in your mood and mental health.
- Reduced risk for chronic diseases: Losing weight reduces your chances of developing serious conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease.
- Increased mobility: When a person becomes obese, they may find themselves limited in the amount of activity they can engage in due to physical limitations and joint pain. Losing weight will allow people who previously were unable to stand or walk for long periods of time to enjoy more normal activities like walking their dog around the block or climbing stairs.
- Psychological benefits of weight loss: One study found that a significant number of people who lost weight experienced an improvement in their mood or mental health.
- Improved quality and quantity of life: Losing weight can have many other benefits, including increased energy levels and improved self-confidence.
What is the best way to lose weight?
A combination of diet and exercise has been proven time again by research studies as the best way to lose weight, according to Dr. Melina Jampolis of UCLA’s Geffen School of Medicine. Here are some of Dr. Jampolis’s suggestions:
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day, three to five times per week -Eat healthy foods and stay hydrated by drinking lots of water.
- Limit unhealthy habits such as smoking or bingeing on junk food.
- Maintain accountability by tracking your progress with an online diary or app, and get support from friends and family.
- Get a good night’s sleep of at least seven hours per day.
The key is to be consistent in adopting these habits, preferably for the rest of one’s life. That way you’re more likely to be successful in maintaining a healthy weight.
Some companies use network marketing to sell dietary supplements
TruVision Health is among the network marketing companies that sell dietary supplements, such as weight loss and multivitamin products, through distributors who earn commission on sales. TruVision uses the multi-level marketing strategy to distribute their products with those who sell more earning greater commissions. These business models have been criticized by some for being pyramid schemes or scams.
I buy and review courses so you don’t have to. Sometimes, I even find courses that are legitimate and worthwhile; and that’s how I accidentally came across one that led me to building a 6-figure business in a little under 5 years. Now, I still review courses because it’s my favorite hobby. 🙂 Learn more about me here.